Notes from The Neuropsychology of Quitting by Brendan Murphy:
- Short talk on depression and and scientific description of suicide.
- Quitting is something that everyone has considered at one point.
- Quitting is frowned upon by society
- People who stick to unattainable goals have high cortisol levels and higher physiological stress levels.
- Goal management is required to steer towards you goals through the path of least resistance, disengagement and re-engagement helps reflect your goals and desired outcomes and leads to reduced stress levels.
- Goal regulation deficits are a major contributor to suicidal thoughts.
- Reasons behind why people don’t quit when they should: invested time and money into a pursuit.
- Abandon sunk costs, focus on opportunity cost of a goal, present investment, future potential gains.